Maybe I'm Getting the Hang of This

Wednesday, October 14, 2009
It’s been a rough couple of weeks on the single scene… being ditched for a sports drink, finding out my crush had a girlfriend… I was beginning to think the universe and I were in a fight. And then the craziest thing happened. I met a guy.

It was Sunday and I was out supporting the marathon per my usual: I run over to the 20-mile mark in time to cheer for my fastest runner friend and then I wait for and cheer other friends until my (only slightly less fast) friends come by, at which point I join them on the course and run with them until I reach our local watering hole.

I’ve done this for the past few years but this time while I was waiting for my fast friend to come by this guy started chatting with me. We proceeded to chat for close to an hour, I think, mostly about running related things, but other stuff as well. The conversation was really organic, and about midway through I started thinking maybe I should let this guy know that I was single.

I managed to capitalize on him mentioning seeing someone with a shirt that read “So-and-So, will you be my girlfriend”? Formally asking someone to be your girlfriend led to discussion of asking someone to go steady (favorite of his) led to discussion about crushes (favorite of mine). Enter me saying my crush was no more, and he responding that neither was his.

By the time I spotted my friends we had been formally introduced and I had invited him to join us at the aforementioned watering hole. As I leapt into the stream of runners I made a point of telling him it was great to meet him and that he really should come to the bar later. Then I was off.

I think you know what comes next. Three hours later, after I had run 4 miles with my friends and the other mile and a half at a slower pace, cheered on random runners while waiting for my friends to make it back from the finish and ordered lunch snacks and a beer, Marathon Guy walked into the bar.

He was just passing through, he had plans with his own friends, so he was literally there JUST TO GET MY PHONE NUMBER. We chatted for a few more minutes, exchanged digits, and he left to meet his friends. I got well-deserved high fives from my whole table. It was the single most impressive dating moment of my entire adult life.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think I may have found myself a winner.

5 comments:

kirby said...

That. Is. Awesome.

(A few friends from Chicago suggested your blog to me. I like it.)

Dater at Large said...

Well thanks very much! Glad you enjoy it.

Nicole said...

I know I said it to you in person, but thought I'd repeat on the blog... yay for normal, undramatic, smooth, goes-the-way-it's-supposed-to introduction! But it's a sad comment on the state of dating affairs that we have to praise normalcy. Can't wait to follow the story of Dater at Large and Marathon Guy!

jo said...

this sounds like such a promising start. plus you already know that he's into running which is always a great thing to have in common. i'm rooting for you guys here! :)

Anonymous said...

So cute! I love this story. Go go marathon guy!